Forum Thread: How to Enable "Unknown Sources" in Android to Install Apps Outside the Play Store

A critical aspect of being a softModder is the ability to install apps from outside the Play Store. Whether you want to install something that Google doesn't allow, like the CyanogenMod installer, or something that requires root privileges, like Xposed, you'll want to remember this handy little trick.

Enabling this function is a piece of cake—simply go to Settings -> Security.

Just check Unknown sources and you're all set.

Now that you're ready to install anything, check out our various Mods and Customizations that'll put this functionality to good use.

5 Responses

after I updated my phone I was no longer able to receive/send group or picture messages, or use my gps anymore. does anyone know why?

A wonderful tip. You have no idea how many manuals I have gone through to resolve my problem and here is the answer in a few words.

I did the same the on my phone but every time I use Facebook or snapchat on my phone, it always says I need to enable unknown sources on my phone so I do, then it makes install this thing called system, so I do, then it makes install system again, and again. If anyone knows how to get this to go away please let me know

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active